FAQs on Getting a CDL To Become a Truck Driver
Interested in becoming a truck driver? Get answers to the most common questions about how to obtain your CDL and get moving!
How Old Do I Need to Be to Get a CDL?
In Ohio, you must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid Ohio driver’s license for intrastate (within the state of Ohio) commercial driving. To drive interstate (state-to-state) or transport hazardous materials, you must be at least 21.
What Type of CDL Do I Need to Become a Truck Driver?
You must possess a Class A Commercial Driving License. Class A allows you to operate any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,001 pounds.
How Do I Get My CDL?
The best way to obtain your CDL is to go through a fully-paid CDL and truck driver training program, such as the Classic Carriers Truck Driving Training Program. Our truck driver training program is a 12-week paid program that helps interested candidates obtain their CDL and become a company driver for Classic Carriers.
Where Do I Get My CDL?
Students of the Classic Carriers Truck Driving Training Program attend a four-week truck driving course (part of the total 12-week training program) at the Ohio Business College. Tuition is fully paid by Classic Carriers, and participants receive a $250 weekly incentive to attend the course.
What Tests Will I Have to Take to Get My CDL?
CDL certification at the Ohio Business College includes both classroom time and hands-on training behind the wheel of a truck. The certification involves two tests: the CDL Knowledge Test and the CDL Road Skills Test.
If I Fail, Can I Retake the Tests?
Yes, but you must wait one week to retake a test.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a CDL?
It can cost several hundred dollars for tuition and certification if you enroll on your own. However, if you enroll through the Classic Carriers Truck Driver Training Program, we will fully pay your fees and pay you a weekly incentive while you learn and train!
After I Get My CDL, Can I Start Driving?
Most trucking companies are looking to hire drivers who already have a few years of experience. That’s why our Classic Carriers Truck Driving Training Program includes an eight-week paid driver training orientation program after earning your CDL. You will be paired with an experienced Classic Carriers driver-trainer. After completion, you will come on board as a solo company driver.
How Do I Join the Classic Carrier Truck Driving Training Program?
- Let us know you are interested by contacting one of our recruiters online, emailing or calling.
- The recruiter will answer your questions and provide an application.
- We will review your application to determine if you are a good fit for our program.
- If you are selected for the program, you must obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) from the BMV (if you do not yet have one).
- You will then be enrolled in the four-week truck driver program at the Ohio Business College, with all tuition paid, and earn an additional $250 a week to help cover travel expenses, meals, etc. Note: We do not require you to sign a contract of completion like some other companies may require.
- After graduation, you move into our eight-week driver training orientation program. This involves riding along with one of our experienced driver-trainers while you get paid!
- Pay rate: $600 each for weeks 1-4; $650 each for weeks 5 and 6; $700 each for weeks 7 and 8.
- You will receive an additional bonus after completing the eight-week training program.
- You are then hired as a Classic Carriers company driver, where you are paid by the mile. Solo drivers start at 45 cents a mile with an additional penny each month until 50 cents a mile. There are also many opportunities for incentives and bonuses!
Driven by the Best
At Classic Carriers, we have a driver turnover rate of less than 30%. Riders and pets are allowed in trucks! We are proud to be a family-owned and operated company that treats our team of dedicated drivers like family.
Join the Classic Carriers training program. Contact a recruiter today!