How Truck Drivers Can Get More Time at Home
Seasoned truck drivers know that it’s a struggle to balance a healthy family life with life on the road. But the key to getting more time at home is simple: choosing a great trucking company that wants to help you achieve that. And not all trucking companies are alike!
At Classic Carriers, we know how important family time is for our drivers. That’s why we work hard to give them the flexibility they need to ensure they’re home more nights and weekends. We give our drivers the ability to choose routes, without penalty or judgment.
When you’re evaluating companies you want to drive for, here are some factors to consider and/or ask about during your search if you want more quality time at home:
- Look for a strong focus on work-life balance. Lots of companies say they understand the importance of work-life balance, but after a few months, you may find out that’s just a lot of hot air. Always ask other company drivers about the culture of the trucking company you’ve chosen to work with. Does the company really value its drivers? Do they work hard to shuffle routes when necessary if a family emergency strikes?
- Find a company that allows you to choose routes. We all know what it’s like to be at the mercy of whatever work comes in, you have to take – or face negative penalties or fewer opportunities. Look for a company that will work with you to select the right routes for you.
- Flexibility is key. Life happens. Family members get sick, and kids’ soccer games sometimes get moved around. Look for a trucking company that has enough experience and a big enough driver pool to cover your routes when life happens to you, too.
- Strong benefits package. The health and wellness of drivers should be of the utmost importance to your employer. Being a truck driver comes with a lot of stress, and the last thing you need to be worrying about when you’re home is being sick. Look for a carrier like Classic that offers full medical benefits and life insurance/AD&D insurance so your family has peace of mind while you’re out on the road, too.
- Clearly stated pay rates and expectations. Some trucking companies are wishy-washy about what a driver can expect to be paid. It all looks great when they’re talking, but then – you get your first paycheck. At Classic, we’re transparent about how much you’ll earn and when. Our new drivers can make over $60,000 a year, and our most experienced drivers make over $100,000 a year. No BS!
Work-Life Balance in Trucking: It Exists!
Come drive with Classic Carriers! We’re a family-owned company with great benefits and even better bonuses. Find out more about what it means to be part of the Classic family.